4 Top Tips on How to Live Waste Free
To show you how to live waste free in your everyday life, I have put together four top tips and some additional ideas to make living your green life a little easier.
Living an eco-friendly lifestyle is relatively easy when you put your mind to it but living without making any waste at all can be a little unachievable. Just know that whatever effort you do make is a step in the right direction.
Top Tip 1.
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
Knowing how to live waste free means to understand that this is a life where everyone works towards protecting and conserving nature and polluting less, while reducing your carbon footprint.
Global buying statistics show that homeowners are increasingly concerned about living a greener, more sustainable life than ever before. The green revolution began over a decade ago, and now it's gone mainstream.
Top Tip 2.
However, knowing how to live waste free and following a green lifestyle requires a sense of understanding about what makes an eco-friendly, sustainable product. Being a well-informed consumer is the key to getting the ethical concept of living greener and 'feeling' morally ethical from the inside-out.
Do your homework. Many materials used in large-scale manufacturing leave a large carbon footprint and may cause long-term environmental damage. Usually, the rule is that the cheaper the product, the higher the carbon footprint and the less ethical or sustainable the item is.
Top Tip 3.
Discovering how to live waste free is a step in the right direction for the whole planet. Be prepared to reuse, conserve water and fuel and minimise and recycle all waste materials in your everyday life.
For a full breakdown of what can be recycled and how to live waste free in your local area, click here...
Top Tip 4.
Find an Alternative
Whatever product you have on your shopping list, whether it be a large purchase or a daily item, try to find a greener alternative.
Consumer purchase choices have never been more accessible with more and more brands making themselves available in online stores. (Like this one!)
With every purchase, you are making a vote. Vote to go greener.
Zero Waste is a Step in the Right Direction
5 Easy Ways to a Zero-Waste Lifestyle
- Refuse anything you don't need. Freebies and junk-mail are top of the list here. Every time you take a free leaflet or free badge or pen, you create a demand to make more. Do you need another "free" fridge-magnet?
- Reduce that which you do want (and cannot refuse). In other words, the less you bring home with you, the less waste you'll have to deal with in your household.
A good bit of advice when learning a zero-waste lifestyle is always to try to buy in bulk or buy secondhand wherever possible. If you have to buy new, then go for;
- Click here for more examples...
Note: Always avoid plastic: Much of it gets shipped across the world for recycling and instead often ends up in landfill (or worse yet, the ocean).
- Reuse what you do utilise (and cannot refuse or reduce). Swap out any disposables for reusables. e.g. use handkerchiefs and cloth napkins, and take reusable tote-bags and cloth bags for your shopping items.
- Recycle what cannot be refused, reduced, or reused. Understand that this is the last resort. Always question the need for any purchase and be aware of its life-cycle. Each of your shopping purchases are a vote for a lifestyle choice.
- Rot (compost) the rest. An excellent compost system will digest dryer-lint, hair, nails, grass clippings, tree leaves and vegetable food scraps, including coffee grounds, lettuce, potato & banana peel, avocado skin and more. It will also decompose black and white newspaper, printer paper and cardboard, plus wood shavings and sawdust. A good composter is always worth the investment!
Bottom Line of How to Live Waste Free:
Knowing how to live waste free is not set in stone. Hence I'm only giving guidelines for best practise on this page. Zero waste is not an exact science. The main message is just always to be thinking about the many opportunities available to swap, change, or recycle wherever possible.
The beautiful thing is that every single person can play a role in living waste-free and making our planet a wonderful place to live, not only now, but for our children in the future.
Across the planet, sustainability issues are on the rise. A fast-expanding and resource-hungry human population burns fossil-fuel at an ever-increasing rate. All unconscious actions we take now are adding to an acceleration of catastrophic global warming.
Buying a TOPECO piece of furniture for your home benefits the environment and offers lower bills, increased energy efficiency and ultimately provides an individual home requiring less maintenance over time.
Never be stuck for an ethical alternative again.